Now here is another method to so using command line terminal inbuilt utility to make USB a bootable device.
You can install Windows 7 or 8 from USB if you have a .iso image of Operating System
There are many benefits also of using USB as installation media instead of DVD.
Instaallation from USB is faster compared to DVD.
So lets see how we can do this.
This are some pretty simple steps you need to follow.
*USB Flash Drive (Minimum 4GB)
*Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation files.
- Connect your USB flash drive to PC, take a backup of contents if you have any in USB on a secure location.
- Open Command Prompt. You can open command prompt using either of the below methods.
Type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter.
Go to Start menu > All programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Before proceeding any further make sure you know the drive letter of your USB device:
- Type DISKPART and hit enter and you will see a list of disks with memory stats.
- Now type LIST DISK command and note down the Disk number (ex: Disk 1 or 0) of your USB flash drive.
- Now type all the below commands one after the other. In the commands below Disk 1 is used in reference to USB drive, yours may be different recognize it using above step.
- Execute below commands one by one:
SELECT DISK 1
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
(Format process may take few seconds)
- Minimize the command prompt and don’t close it as one more command is to be executed.
- Next insert your Windows7/Windows 8 DVD into the optical drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive. Assuming that your DVD drive letter is “E” and USB drive letter is “G” .
- Maximize the minimized Command Prompt and execute the following command.
E: CD BOOT and hit enter.Where “E” is your DVD drive letter.
CD BOOT and hit enter.
- Now type this command to update USB drive with BOOTMGR compatible code.
BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 G:“G” is your USB drive letter.
- Now copy all content of DVD into USB flash drive.
- Your USB drive has now become a bootable device. Now you need to change the boot priority in the BIOS settings to USB from the HDD or CD ROM drive. You can do this when your computer starts up by pressing DEL or ESC or F12 key depends on your hardware.
You just need to change the primary boot device to USB in BIOS settings in order to boot OS from USB. This guide works perfectly i have tested it myself.